Welcome to this next lesson.
I am excited to see you here, and it’s going to be fun!
One of my clients, Jake, likes to shop online.
He loves buying clothes for himself because he goes out a lot.
Plus, he likes to improve his apartment with beautiful things.
So Jake was going through a porn reboot with me and made a commitment.
He was to shop on Sunday only—as long as he stuck to the replacement habit during the week.
For Jake, that habit was playing an online game instead of watching porn or jerking off.
That’s how he reinforced his replacement habit in a positive way.
You’re going to do the same: resist urges with the replacement habit and reward yourself for it.
A reward can be distant—like in Jake’s case.
And or it can be instant.
Another client reads an article online right after he resists an urge.
Here are a few ideas for rewards:
- What do you like to do? Deny yourself those pleasures and use them as a reward.
- Take a quick nap or meditate.
- Get a massage.
- Buy clothes/anything that you have built anticipation for.
- Drive around for an hour or two if you enjoy it.
- Take a weekend trip to an amusement park.
- Go on a weekend retreat.
- Go to a sauna.
- Take your kid or a nephew on a full day out to do whatever they like.
- Order a subscription box.
- Do something adventurous that you always wanted. Like bungee jumping, etc.
- Now that you have pleasure associated with the positive replacement habit, you will install it faster.
And porn is already becoming a thing of the past.
With that said, it’s time for our next lesson.
I will see you there. Keep going — you’re doing very well.